test

Tuesday 10 November 2009

Stay positive students!

I spent my day yesterday in Belleville with other members of the Advisory Committee of the Loyalist College Photojournalism Program. It's always a good day, but a long one because of the three-hour drive each way.

The first and second-year classes seem quite promising this year, but historically there are always a few surprises that emerge before graduation.

I was especially moved to speak to a first-year student who seemed demoralized by other students with some experience, and a bag full of fancy equipment. That's exactly how I felt in first-ear myself, but with a lot of work, and determination I was able to establish my own abilities gain some confidence to continue successfully. Having the right attitude is a huge part of the battle.

We were speaking about having another reunion party in Belleville to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the program. I can't believe we're nearing that milestone. It seems a lifetime ago that I was there. First year was such a year of transition for me, not just into a new area of study, but into civilian life again after five years in the Canadian military. this is me near the beginning of second year.



Thankfully my hair was growing by second year, and the button-down collars weren't an every-day thing. (I believe that's my landlord's old fishing vest!!!-Thanks Jeff!)

Anyway, it's always refreshing to meet with the students, to look at portfolios, and be able to share some thoughts that may help them in the future. Their enthusiasm is contagious, and I think the visits to Belleville do us veterans a lot of good as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment